Thursday, May 21, 2009

Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes all the same

I live on the North Shore, thirty-three minutes from downtown Chicago, and five minutes from one of the wealthiest towns in America. My family lives in a large house in a safe, white neighborhood. It would be an understatement to say that I was sheltered as a youth. Everything in my life was handed to me: education, clothes, a car, and opportunities. I grew up deceiving myself, I thought that if I believe I wasn’t some spoiled rich white girl, then I wasn’t. But I was, and maybe still am. I found friends who were interested in volunteering and school. Who didn’t buy designer labels on the weekends with their moms, or wear pearls to school every day. I wanted to be a hippie.
My hippie phase is very comical, looking back on it. I thought that downloading a bunch of Bob Marley songs, and braiding my hair made me care more about the earth. HA. I just wanted to rebel against my upbringing. My poor mother. I think that she dearly wanted a little girl to take shopping and get manicures with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment